Tax Assistance: Employers may request up to a 60-day extension from the EDD to file state payroll reports and/or deposit payroll taxes without penalty or interest. A written request for extension must be received within 60 days from the original delinquent date of the payment or return. Employers may call the EDD Taxpayer Assistance Center for more information at 1-888-745-3886.
Reduced Work Hours: Employers can apply for the Unemployment Insurance (UI) Work Sharing Program if reduced production, services, or other conditions cause them to seek an alternative to layoffs. The Work Sharing Program helps employers and employees:
- Minimize or eliminate the need for layoffs
- Keep trained employees and quickly prepare when business conditions improve
- Avoid the cost of recruiting, hiring, and training new employees
- Receive Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits
- Keep their current job
- Avoid financial hardships
- Please click here for more information.
Potential Closure or Layoffs: Employers planning a closure or major layoffs as a result of COVID-19 can get help through the Rapid Response program. Rapid Response teams will meet with you to discuss your needs, help avert potential layoffs, and provide immediate on-site services to assist workers facing job losses. For more information, refer to the Rapid Response Services for Businesses Fact Sheet (DE 87144RRB) (PDF) or contact your local America’s Job Center of California
Alameda’s One Stop Career Center can be reached at 510-748-2208. Please click here for more information.
Disaster Relief Loan Guarantees: Small businesses with 1-750 employees can apply for loan guarantees to assist with disaster relief. Please click here for more information.
Facebook Small Business Grants Program: Facebook is offering $100 million in small grants and ad credits to up to 30,000 businesses. Please click here for more information.
Kiva Zero-Interest Loans: Kiva offers zero-interest loans of up to $15,000 to small businesses. Please click here for more information.
San Francisco Foundation Grants for Non-Profits: The San Francisco Foundation will make grants of $3,000 – $25,000 to nonprofits addressing the following four issue areas: racial bias, worker protection, homelessness and renter protection/housing security, and food security. Please click here for more information
- EAST Bay Score offers business counselling services, including help to businesses applying, or considering applying, for a loan from the SBA Disaster Assistance Loan program. Temporarily, because of COVID-19, all counseling sessions by East Bay SCORE will be conducted by telephone, video or email, rather than face-to-face. They are open Monday through Friday, 9:30am to 2:30pm, and can be reached at 510-273-6611 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please click here for more information.
- The Alameda SBDC provides one-on-one counselling for small businesses, and a wealth of information about resources and programs, including this Small Business Survival Guide. Please click here for more information.
Tools for Remote Work: The Open for Business Hub provides a summary of tech business which are providing free tools to assist businesses with remote work. Please click here for more information.
Protect Your Workers: Please click here for the latest Cal/OSHA Interim Guidance on Requirements to Protect Workers from COVID-19.
Plan, Prepare and Respond to COVID-19: Please click here for the latest CDC guidance on how to plan, prepare, and respond to COVID-19.