Energy efficiency measures reduce building energy use, energy bills and emissions thorough weatherization, building insulation and more efficient appliances.
Why make my home energy efficient?
- Cost savings: Reducing your energy use will lower your utility bills. The Department of Energy estimates that the typical household can save up to 25% on utility bills.
- Comfort: Energy efficiency measures, such as air sealing and insulation, work to stabilize your home's temperature. Your home will be cooler during the summer and warmer during the winter. Some energy efficiency measures even reduce noise pollution in your home.
- Climate: Energy efficiency measures will reduce your natural gas usage. Burning natural gas releases greenhouse gasses which contribute to air pollution and global. warming. Reducing natural gas usage will reduce your impact on the environment.
Where to begin?
There are many different things you can do to make your home energy efficient. Projects vary in difficulty, price, and effectiveness. Here are a few things you can do to begin your energy efficiency journey.
- Get a free consult with a home energy advisor:
Talk to one of BayREN's Home Energy Advisors, they will provide you with free, unbiased advice that will walk you through BayREN's rebates and help you find certified contractors.
- Understand your home: BayREN Home Energy Score.
Have an assessor come to your home to conduct a personal, detailed analysis about your home and its energy asset. They will provide you with a score, facts about your home, its estimated energy consumption and customized recommendations. As of recently, assessors can also provide electrification feasibility analysis while they are at your home. Having a greater understanding of energy use and electrification feasibility is a great first step towards energy efficiency and electrification. BayREN provides a $200 rebate for this process.