City of Alameda Employee Benefits


Welcome to City of Alameda Employee Benefits page. Here you will find information on benefits available to City employees and their eligible dependents. 

For assistance email or call (510) 747-4900.

Benefits Matrix(PDF, 559KB)

Medical Coverage


Benefit Matrix (PDF, 559KB)

Health Insurance Waiver Form(PDF, 104KB)

Visit for more resources.

Find information on how to register a Domestic Partnership HERE.


2023 CalPERS Health Premium Rates


* Note any premium amount above the City contribution is split and deducted twice per month from employee's pay. Employees who pay a portion of their premium will have their share of the premium deducted from their final paycheck at  time of separation. If you have questions regarding whether your premium will be fully covered please reach out to Human Resources at

*Region 1 - Premiums(PDF, 123KB): Region 1 includes the Counties of Alameda, Apline, Amador, Butte, Calaveras, Colusa, Contra Costa, Del Norte, Eldorado, Glenn, Humboldt, Lake Lassen, Marin, Mariposa, Mendocino, Merced, Modoc, Mono, Monterey, Napa, Nevada, {Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Benito, San Francisco, San Joaquin, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Shasta, Sierra, Siskiyou, Solano, Sonoma, Stanislaus, Sutter, Tehama, Trinity, Toulumne, Yolo, and Yuba

Region 2 - Premiums(PDF, 120KB): Region 2 includes the Counties of Fresno, Imperial, Inyo, Kern, Kings, Madera, Orange, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Tulare, and Ventura

Region 3 - Premiums(PDF, 114KB): Region 3 includes the Counties of Los Angeles, Riverside, and San Bernardino

*Note that that not all plans listed for each region are available in every county  of the region. Check which plans are available in your county on page 8 of the CalPERS Health Benefit Summary(PDF, 2MB) below.

CalPERS Health Plan Resources

CalPERS 2023 Health Benefit Summary(PDF, 2MB)

CalPERS Health Program Guide(PDF, 608KB)

Guide to Choosing A Health Plan(PDF, 226KB)

Health Plan Resources

Anthem Blue Cross HMO (Anthem Traditional & Anthem Select)  

Anthem Blue Cross PPO (PERS Gold & PERS Platinum)

Health Net SmartCare (HMO)

Kaiser Permanente (HMO)



Vision Coverage

2023 Enrollment and Change Form(PDF, 2MB)

Vision Benefit Summary(PDF, 227KB)

Visit to download your insurance card and for more resources and information.

Flexible Spending Account (Medical & Dependent Care)

The Medical Flexible Spending Account (FSA) allows you to set aside money from your paycheck on a pre-tax basis to use for eligible out-of-pocket medical expenses. Eligible expenses include: copays and coinsurance from your health plans for you and your eligible dependents, over-the-counter medications including feminine products, diabetic supplies, braces, dental implants or other major dental services; and eyeglasses or contact lenses. Elected amount is available on the 1st day of the plan year (January 1st) or 1st day of enrollment. 2022 Maximum contribution $2,750.

The Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA) allows you to save money on day care expenses for children up to age 13 (or a disabled spouse or dependent of any age who are incapable of self-care) by setting aside money from your paycheck on a pre-tax basis for use on eligible care expenses.  Eligible expenses include: After-school Care or Extended Day Programs, Licensed babysitting and childcare providers, summer or sports camps (overnight or sleepaway not eligible), disabled dependent care expenses, elder care. Reimbursements cannot exceed the election amounts deposited into the account to date (money in, money out). 2022 Maximum contribution $5,000.

2023 FSA Enrollment Form(PDF, 326KB)

FSA Savings Calculator

FSA Guidebook(PDF, 5MB)

Check eligible expenses by clicking HERE.

Forms & Other Resources

FSA Claim Form(PDF, 107KB)

How to File A Claim

Transaction Dispute Form(PDF, 268KB)

Medical Necessity Form(PDF, 48KB)

FSA Plan Summary(PDF, 223KB) & Plan Document(PDF, 161KB)

Participant Services at (866) 451-3399 or

Retirement Planning (CalPERS & Deferred Comp)

   CalPERS Retirement Resources

for Full-Time Employees

Visit to login or create an account to: view or change your current lump sum beneficiaries, view your current balance and total service credit, get a retirement estimate or file an application for retirement.  

Miscellaneous Retirement Benefits(PDF, 817KB)

Safety Retirement Benefits(PDF, 893KB)

Planning for Retirement(PDF, 595KB)

Retirement Estimate Calculator on MyCalPERS(PDF, 477KB)

Service Retirement Information and Application(PDF, 490KB)

Employment After Retirement Booklet(PDF, 199KB)

CalPERS Medicare Enrollment Guide(PDF, 1019KB)

Visit for more information and resources related to your pension plan.

PARS Retirement Resources

For Part-Time Employees

Visit to review resources and forms to manage your PARS account.

PARS Plan Information Sheet(PDF, 196KB)

PARS Beneficiary Designation Form(PDF, 46KB)

PARS Beneficiary Add/Change Form(PDF, 231KB)

457 Deferred Compensation Information & Resources

The City offers employees three voluntary Deferred Compensation. The plans are administered by ICMA, Nationwide, and VOYA (CalPERS) in accordance with Section 457 of the Internal Revenue Code.

The Deferred Compensation Plan is a supplemental retirement plan option in addition to your CalPERS pension plan. Participants of the program select a plan and a designated monthly amount to deduct from their paychecks. While you may stop your deductions at any time, you may not have access to the funds until you have separated from City employment.

Enrollment or changing forms are available below. Participation is handled through payroll deductions on a pre-tax basis. A voluntary pre-tax contribution will allow a participant to reduce their taxable income for the year and all associated earnings are not subject to tax until withdrawn.

* All enrollment forms must be submitted to Finance Payroll Division, for proper processing.

The IRS sets contribution limits. The current limits are listed below. Should you have questions about the limits please contact your plan representative or the Human Resources office. 

 2023 457(b) Contribution Limits  
2023 Elective
Contribution Limit

This dollar amount is the maximum contribution that can be made to an eligible 457(b) plan by a participant. Note:  contributions cannot exceed compensation nor the contribution limit.

"Age 50"
Contribution Limit

$7,500  This dollar amount applies to employees who are at least 50 years old or who will be 50 by the end of the calendar year and are eligible to contribute to a 457(b) plan.  This is in addition to the Elective Contribution Limit listed above.  The maximum contributed that can be made in the 2023 plan year using this prevision is $27,000.

This allows 457(b) plan participants to make additional contributions during the three years prior to, but no including the year in which they will reach normal retirement and is based upon the total amount of contributions that could have been made in prior years (with the same employer), but were not.  This amount is in addition to the Elective Contribution Limit but cannot be combined with the "Age 50" catch up limit.  The maximum contribution that can be made using this provision during the 2023 plan year is $41,000.


Plan Contact Information and Forms

ICMA (MissionSquare)



Shawn Baker
(202) 441-0953

Kerry Avila
(925) 705-4669


Nancy Garrity
(888) 713-8244 ext 6


For MissionSquare/ ICMA-RC
Click HERE

For Nationwide
Click HERE

Click HERE
Enrollment Kit
Nationwide FORMS
Enrollment Kit

Enrollment Kit

2023 Deferred Comp Change Form(PDF, 223KB) 

City Contribution Enrollment Form(PDF, 213KB)

All Change Forms must be submitted via Employee Self Service for processing.

Health and Wellness

May is Mental Health Awareness Month


 Mental Health Resources

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Don't see an answer to your question?

Contact Human Resources or call (510) 747-4900. 

  • I am covered by my spouse's or parents' medical plan, can I waive coverage and get money back?

Yes, you may waive coverage by completing the Health Insurance Waiver Form, download by clicking here(PDF, 104KB), and providing proof of the other coverage. This can be done by your provider (spouse’s or parent’s employer) filling out the Health Insurance Waiver Form or providing a letter certifying your enrollment. If you are unable to obtain either of these documents please contact Nafisah Ali,, for alternatives.

  • If I waive coverage now and suddenly lose coverage, will I be able to enroll in medical coverage through the City later?

Yes, loss of coverage is a qualifying event, contact Human Resources as soon as you learn you will lose coverage and they can assist with your enrollment. Remember you will have 60 days to enroll in benefits from the date you lose coverage, but if you contact Human Resources early you may be able to avoid a gap in coverage. 

  • I just got married/ registered a domestic partner/ had a baby / etc., how can I enroll my new dependent?

     Congratulations! Contact Human Resources as soon as a life event occurs and we will assist with enrolling your dependent.             Remember you have 60 days from the event date to enroll your new dependent in benefits. Contact Human Resources as soon       as possible to make sure to meet the deadline!

  • What supporting documents do I need to provide if I am enrolling my dependents?

If you choose to enroll your dependents in medical, dental, or vision please provide the following documents with your enrollment forms:

  • Spouse: Marriage Certificate
  • Domestic Partner: State of California Domestic Partnership Registration
  • Child(ren): Birth or Adoption Certificate(s) 
  • Step Child(ren): Marriage Certificate/Domestic Partner Registration & Birth or Adoption Certificate(s)
  • I am making changes to my benefits, when will the changes be effective?

Changes made to your medical, dental, vision during the plan year are effective the month following the return of your forms. So for example, if you return forms by March 15, the change will be effective April 1. Changes made during open enrollment are effective the first day fo the plan year (January 1).