The Building Division supports construction permitting functions at the Permit Center, including public information, application review and acceptance, routing, fee collection, and issuance of all permit applications. This program manages the review of plans for work being performed within city limits to ensure compliance with required standards and regulations. The program also provides daily inspections of construction, plumbing, electrical, and mechanical work at job sites to ensure all work conforms to current code requirements.
The building inspectors are only in the office to schedule inspections between 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m., Monday through Thursday. To schedule an inspection, please call (510) 747-6830 at least two days in advance of your desired inspection date.
Helpful Links and Information
New Building Codes Become Effective January 1, 2017 –
Every three years, the State adopts new codes to establish uniform standards for the construction and maintenance of buildings, electrical systems, plumbing systems, mechanical systems, and fire and life safety systems. Beginning on January 1, 2017, the City of Alameda will begin to enforce the new 2016 California Building Standards Codes as required by State law. All permit submittals beginning January 1, 2017 must comply with the new 2016 codes. The 2016 codes consist of 13 parts and are available online here.
News from the Building Official
Articles written by Greg McFann, City of Alameda Building Official, covering a variety of topics relating to building and permitting in Alameda.
- Why Do I Need to Get a Permit?(PDF, 78KB)
- ¿Por qué necesito obtener un permiso?(PDF, 10KB)
- The Permit Process(PDF, 80KB)
- The Inspection Process(PDF, 87KB)
- I Didn't Get a Permit, So Now What Do I Do?(PDF, 131KB)
- Hiring a Contractor or Doing it Yourself?(PDF, 84KB)
- Keeping Alameda Looking Good(PDF, 26KB)
- The History of Building Codes(PDF, 80KB)
- California Historical Building Code(PDF, 18KB)
- Soft Story Collapse(PDF, 25KB)
- Carbon Monoxide Device Requirements(PDF, 94KB)
- Seismic Retrofit