The City of Alameda has been working on reducing greenhouse gas emissions since it released the Local Action Plan for Climate Protection in 2008. In 2017, the City expanded the focus of its climate program to include climate resilience, building on existing work in urban forestry, stormwater management, and local hazard mitigation.
Here are two lists that contain all of the climate action ideas that have been submitted to the City thus far: Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions(PDF, 852KB), Increasing Climate Resilience(PDF, 679KB) . These ideas are drawn from City staff and past plans, other cities' climate action plans, and suggestions received through a survey the City put out this summer. These ideas have not yet been vetted by City staff for feasibility and effectiveness, and may not appear in the final plan.
Below are a list of plans and reports detailing what the City has done and plans to do to reduce greenhouse gas emissions:
● Local Action Plan for Climate Protection(PDF, 6MB) (2008)
● Community-wide Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventories for 2010(PDF, 3MB) and 2015(PDF, 1MB) (2013/2017)
● Bicycle Master Plan(PDF, 7MB) (1999/2010)
● Pedestrian Plan(PDF, 4MB) (2009)
● AMP Energy Efficiency Report (2016)
● Zero Waste Implementation Plan(PDF, 2MB) and Update(PDF, 3MB) (2010/2018)
● Transportation Choices Plan (2018)(PDF, 21MB)
● AMP Strategic Plan (in progress)
● Economic Development Plan (in progress)
The following list represents climate resilience work done for Alameda - some of it done by the City, some of it by regional governments
● Storm Drain Master Plan and Update(PDF, 10MB) (2008/2017)
● Alameda County Vulnerability and Risk Report (2012)
● ABAG (region-wide report): Stronger Housing, Safer Communities (2012)
● Alameda Point Master Infrastructure Plan(PDF, 28MB) (2014)
● Oakland-Alameda Resilience Study(PDF, 28MB) (2016)
● Local Hazard Mitigation Plan(PDF, 13MB) (2016)
The City is working with a consultant team at Eastern Research Group as the plan gets developed for technical expertise, best practices, high-end graphics and specialized engineering. Below are supporting documents written by the consultant team.
Task 1: Report on Existing Conditions and Future Goals(PDF, 4MB)
Task 6, Memo 1: Compilation of Greenhouse Gas Reduction Measures(PDF, 1010KB)
Task 6, Memo 2: Review and Adjustments to 2015 Community-wide Greenhouse Gas Inventory and Projects to 2020 & 2030(PDF, 524KB)