Apply for a U.S. Passport

Passport acceptance has been suspended until May 31st.  Please continue to monitor in case a decision is made to open earlier.



Step 1.Fill Out An Application

You must apply in person using Form DS-11 if at least one of the following is true:

  • You are applying for your first U.S. passport
  • You are under age 16
  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16
  • Your previous U.S. passport was lost, stolen, or damaged
  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago

If none of the above statements apply to you, you may be eligible to renew by mail.

Step 2.Provide Evidence of U.S. Citizenship

You must submit one of the following. Photocopies and notarized copies are not acceptable.

  • Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
  • U.S. birth certificate that meets the following requirements:
  • Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
  • Lists your full name, date of birth, and place of birth
  • Lists your parent(s)' full names
  • Has the date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth)
  • Has the registrar's signature
  • Has the seal of the issuing authority
  • Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth 
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship 

If you cannot submit one of the above acceptable documents, or for more information, please see Citizenship Evidence.


Step 3.Present Identification

You must present one of the following identification documents (IDs) to the acceptance agent. The ID must readily identify you.

  • In-state, fully-valid driver's license
  • Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
  • Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
  • Government employee ID (city, county, state or federal)
  • U.S. military ID or military dependent ID
  • Valid foreign passport
  • Matrícula Consular (Mexican Consular Identification, commonly used by the parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant)

If you cannot present one of the IDs above, or for more information, please see Identification.

Please note:

If you present an out-of-state ID, you must present an additional ID. If you have undergone or are going through gender transition, please see these additional requirements.


Step 4.Visit City Hall to complete your paperwork

You must submit your: completed application, including citizenship evidence, ID, photo, and fees, in person to the Alameda City Clerks Office in room 380.

Fees to the Department of State are payable by check or money order only.

Passport acceptance has been suspended until May 31st.  Please continue to monitor in case a decision is made to open earlier.





You can renew by mail using Form DS-82 if your most recent passport meets all five of these requirements:

  1. Is submitted with your application
  2. Is undamaged (other than normal "wear and tear")
  3. Was issued when you were age 16 or older
  4. Was issued within the last 15 years
  5. Was issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order)

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you must Apply in Person using form DS-11.



Please note: In addition to the requirements for a new passport application, minor applicants need to have the following:

You must submit documentation that lists the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of the child applying for a passport.  

The following may be used to show parental relationship:

  • U.S. birth certificate (also evidence of U.S. citizenship)
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (also evidence of U.S. citizenship)
  • Foreign birth certificate
  • Adoption decree
  • Divorce/Custody decree

Please note: Some documents, like a U.S. birth certificate, show both U.S. citizenship and parental relationship. These documents must be originals or certified copies (not photocopies).



Payment Instructions:

*The application fee is paid directly to the Department of State. **The Execution Fee is paid directly to the City of Alameda. Two Separate payments are required.  



Processing times can vary depending on the time of year, and occasional unforeseen circumstances such as natural disasters. During busier times, such as the summer travel season, we encourage customers to expedite their applications if traveling in less than 6 weeks. See Application Processing Times for more information.

If you need your passport quickly, you can expedite your application. Please find more information here

Yes, you will receive the old, cancelled passport. It may be sent separately from your new passport. It is a good idea to keep your old passport in a safe place as it is considered proof of your U.S. citizenship.

No, you cannot. Applicants in need of additional pages in their valid passports must obtain a new passport by mail. Applicants within the United States may choose a 28-page or 52-page book.