Oakland Alameda Water Shuttle

Launching July 17!

07/02/2024 update: We're pleased to announce that the new water shuttle pilot service is launching on Wednesday, July 17! A press release with details was just issued. More information about the service will be added over the next two weeks, including FAQs. Find the schedules below. We are awaiting final sign-off from the U.S. Coast Guard to operate the service, but anticipate we will still be able to launch on July 17. Sign-up here to receive updates.

Shuttle Schedules

Scroll down to see all three schedules: Wednesday-Thursday, Friday and Saturday-Sunday. There is no service on Monday and Tuesday.

OAWS_ScheduleWeb_Weds-Thurs

OAWS_ScheduleWeb_Fri

OAWS_ScheduleWeb_Sat-Sun

The service will:

  • Be free!
  • Be ADA-accessible
  • Accommodate bicycles easily
  • Run between Alameda Landing (behind Target, at the Bohol Circle Immigrant Park dock) and Oakland's Jack London Square (at the foot of Broadway) 
  • Operate 5 days per week, Wednesdays through Sundays. Service levels may change later depending on funding and season.
  • Be a two-year pilot, with the opportunity to grow over time

Map of Water Shuttle service:

OAWS_MapWeb_2024-07-02

Service Schedules

Service will begin on Wednesday, July 17, 2024.

Scroll down to see all three schedules: Wednesday-ThursdayFriday and Saturday-Sunday. There will be no service on Monday and Tuesday.

OAWS_ScheduleWeb_Weds-Thurs

OAWS_ScheduleWeb_Fri

OAWS_ScheduleWeb_Sat-Sun

Join the Mailing List

Keep in touch to hear about the service launch and updates! 

Join the Water Shuttle mailing list

FAQs

Coming soon!

Partnership + Funding

This new water shuttle service is being developed and supported by a growing team of agencies and organizations. As of 2024, financial and in-kind support for this free service is coming from:

Planning Background

The need for an easy way to connect Oakland and Alameda across the Oakland Estuary has existed for many years. In the early 2000s, the Alameda Oakland Bike Ferry service operated for several years (see newsletter insert below). 

In 2009, the City developed a comprehensive Estuary Crossing Final Feasibility Study Report(PDF, 6MB) to analyze and evaluate all of the potential strategies for crossing the Estuary either by foot, bike or transit. Seventeen (17) different crossing options were studied, including a gondola, different bridge types, Posey/Webster Tubes enhancements, water shuttle services and a new transit tube. Solutions for the near-, mid-, and long-term were explored. The top recommended, mid-term option was determined to be a water shuttle service.

Since then, the City has been working to create a partnership to fund and operate a free public water shuttle service for Alameda and Oakland, and finally, in 2022, the pieces for this shuttle service came together, with a high level of private sector interest and financial commitments of up to 75% of operations funding. A grant was secured in 2023 from the Alameda County Transportation Commission, to cover the remaining 25% of the costs. WETA also agreed to administer and operate the pilot service. 

The City of Alameda conducted a survey in Spring 2023 and collected over 2,300 responses. The results, summarized here(PDF, 139KB), helped inform our initial launch service schedule. We'll be conducting additional surveys, once the service starts, to collect feedback and hear more about what service the public would like.

Newsletter clipping about previous water taxi in 2004

Also: Summer Land Shuttle to Alameda Point

The Island Hopper will be a free shuttle connection to Alameda Point, operating weekends only in the summer of 2024. More info coming soon!