City Prosecutor

The Prosecution and Public Rights Unit of the Alameda City Attorney’s Office represents the People of the State of California in prosecuting misdemeanor criminal matters, such as child/elder abuse, domestic violence, assault/battery, DUI, theft, and weapons charges. The Unit is further charged with bringing affirmative litigation in response to violations of consumer protection and fair housing laws. City prosecutors are dedicated to promoting and improving public safety and the quality of life in Alameda, through the fair, compassionate and effective administration of justice.


Note: Alameda City Government is open and transparent.  Any written correspondence sent to the City may be deemed a public record which could be disclosed.


How do I file a complaint against a company or individual?

Open the File a Complaint Form on the right, complete all the fields and sign the form. You can email the form to or print the form and mail it to: Alameda City Attorney, Prosecution Unit, 2263 Santa Clara Ave, Room 280, Alameda, CA 94501.  Be sure to include all required documentation, if any.

Does it cost anything to file a complaint form?


Can the City Attorney Prosecutor represent me in an action against an individual or company who has defrauded me?

No. The Office is unable to represent private citizens seeking personal remedies. Instead, the Office pursues both criminal and civil law enforcement actions in the name of the People of California.

What is the difference between the City Attorney’s Office and the District Attorney’s Office?

There are several differences between the two offices.  The District Attorney’s Office is a department of the County of Alameda. It engages in criminal prosecution of misdemeanor and felony crimes that occur in Alameda County. The Alameda City Attorney’s Office is responsible for prosecution of State and local misdemeanor crimes that occur within Alameda, including violations of the Alameda Municipal Code.


Contractors are licensed through the Contractors State License Board (  Consult the CSLB for information on license status and other helpful tips before hiring a contractor.

Many professionals like doctors, chiropractors, veterinarians, auto mechanics, etc., must be licensed with the State of California. Most license verifications can be conducted online via the Department of Consumer Affairs website ( The local Better Business Bureau ( may be able to give you information about businesses in your area.

If you have been injured on the job and your employer does not have workers’ compensation insurance contact our office or the Department of Insurance ( to file a complaint.

The California Department of Real Estate ( safeguards and promotes the public interests in Real Estate Matters through licensure, regulation, education and enforcement.

The California Bureau of Automotive Repair serves Californians through effective regulation of the automotive repair and Smog Check industry (

To make a complaint against a private attorney contact the California State Bar (

 If you see someone dumping chemicals into a storm drain contact our office or the Alameda County Environmental Health Department (

If you are a senior, or you know of a senior, who is being abused or mistreated by a family member, caregiver or friend/acquaintance contact Adult Protective Services ( at 510-577-3500 or the Alameda Police Department 510-337-8340. 


City Prosecutors are guided by well-established professional rules of conduct and case filing decisions are based on the requirements contained in the  California District Attorneys Association's Uniform Crime Charging Standards(PDF, 2MB). For information regarding the filing and prosecution of criminal charges as independent actions of the Alameda City Attorney’s Office, you may read the full policy statement(PDF, 77KB).